Hurricane lanterns are the old, vintage-style lamps that use kerosene, oil, or battery power to provide the lighting needed. These lanterns usually have chimneys and glass to prevent the flame from extinguishing due to wind. These lanterns also have two openings – one for ensuring airflow into the support combustion and another one is for releasing the smoke.
If you want to ensure proper lighting during sudden power outages, you are going to need a lantern. In this article, we’ve put together a collection of the best hurricane lanterns that can also be used for power outages in both home and outdoor.
10 Best Hurricane Lanterns
Last update on 2022-08-21 at 16:51 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Here’s a quick summary of our selection:
- Best Overall Hurricane Lantern – Yinuo Vintage LED Hurricane Lantern
- Runner Up – YAKii Vintage 12-LED Hurricane Lantern
- Best LED Hurricane Lantern – WishHome Vintage LED Hurricane Lantern
- Best Oil Burning Hurricane Lantern – Dietz #76 Lantern
- Best Kerosene Hurricane Lantern – Dietz #80 Hurricane Lantern
- Best Small Hurricane Lantern – Stansport Hurricane Lantern
- Best Budget Hurricane Lantern – Gerson LED Hurricane Lantern
To make your choice easier, I’ve compiled some of the key features, benefits, and problems of each of these hurricane lanterns. Let’s get into it:
01. Yinuo Vintage LED Hurricane Lantern
Based on overall quality, performance, and features, this vintage LED lantern from Yinuo is one of the best performing hurricane lanterns on the market. Like the traditional hurricane lantern, this lantern doesn’t run on kerosene or oil. It uses 3 AA batteries to provide ultra-bright light.
The best feature of this lantern is – it is a remote control hurricane lantern. It comes with a remote which can be used to turn the light on or off. In addition, you can control the brightness of the lantern with this remote.
The lantern has automatic-off functionality which shuts down the light after 6 hours to save energy. It includes a hanging clamp and a hook. So, you can hang this anywhere you want.
- Made of high-quality ABS plastic material.
- Remote control functionality (comes with a remote).
- Automatic shut down function (automatically turn off after 6 hours).
- Portable and safe for home and outdoor use (runs of AA batteries).
- Durable hanging clamp and a hook included for easy hanging.
Related Reviews: The Best Lantern Batteries
02. Dietz #76 Oil Burning Hurricane Lantern
Dietz is a well-known brand of lanterns. They manufacture various types of lanterns for emergency power outages. This oil-burning hurricane lantern measures 10×5.9 inches. It comes with 7 candlepower and a 1/2 inch wick stripe. A heavy-duty handle is included for hanging the lantern. With 8 oz. of fuel, this lantern can burn up to 11 hours. It can be used for home and outdoor power outage.
- Oil-burning hurricane lantern.
- Compact design, easy to carry.
- Burns up to 11 hours.
- 1/2 inch wick stripe included.
- Available in different colors – Black, Blue, Green, etc.
Watch the following video to know more about this oil lantern:
03. WishHome Vintage LED Hurricane Lantern
Out of so many different types of lanterns, battery-powered lanterns are the most efficient because they don’t require any wiring, so you can bring them on your travel or picnic. The WishHome vintage hurricane lantern comes with 15 LEDs and runs on 2 D batteries. The best thing about this lantern is its dimmer switch. It allows you to control the output of the light. So you can use this lantern as a light source for your children on dark roads or night lights. There is a ring on the top of the Vintage Lantern, which allows you to hang the lantern in any position. It can be used in the backyard or patio, or in a tent during camping.
- Battery-powered LED hurricane lantern. (Runs on 2 D batteries)
- Includes 15 LED bulb and provide 150 lumens.
- Built-in dimmer switch for controlling the brightness.
- Metal hanging ring for easy hanging.
- Perfect for home and outdoor use.
- Available in a wide variety of colors.
04. Stansport Small Hurricane Lantern
If you are looking for the best kerosene lantern for power outages, this would be the best option for you. This small hurricane lantern from Stansport is only 8-inch in height. However, you can also choose the 12-inch version of this lantern. Both are made of durable metal and are perfect for home and outdoor use. The lantern includes a wick and control knob which allows you to adjust the brightness level. The metal carry handle allows you to hang the lantern anywhere you want. You can use kerosene or any standards oil on this lantern.
- Small and extremely portable hurricane lantern.
- Made of durable metal materials.
- Comes with a wick and control knob.
- Burns on kerosene or any standard oil.
05. Gerson LED Hurricane Lantern
The Gerson LED hurricane lantern is another small vintage style lantern on our list. If you are having a tight budget, but still looking for a good performing hurricane lantern, we would recommend this lantern. It comes with 15 white LED bulbs. The structure is made of durable metal and high-quality glass. It uses 2 D-batteries to run. Since there is no use of kerosene or oil, it’s much safer than the traditional oil-burning lantern. So, you can take this lantern on camping, fishing, or the roadside. A dimmer switch is included which allows you to adjust the brightness of the lantern.
- Battery operated hurricane lantern. (Runs on 2 D batteries)
- Comes with a metal carrying handle.
- Includes 15 white LED bulbs.
- Provides the best value for the money.
06. YAKii Vintage 12-LED Hurricane Lantern
The YAKii vintage style hurricane lantern is made of high quality galvanized steel. It comes with 12 powerful LED bulbs and clear glass to provide the best lighting in your home or outdoor. Like the previous one, this lantern also runs on 2 D-batteries. You can adjust the brightness of this lantern by just rotating the switch. There is a hanging swing that allows you to easily hang the lantern on any place.
- Energy-efficient LED hurricane lantern.
- Available in 4 different colors.
- Adjustable brightness switch.
- Perfect for emergency lighting at home or during outdoor trips.
Related Reviews: The 10 Best Coleman Lanterns Ever Made
07. Dietz #80 Blizzard Oil Burning Hurricane Lantern
Here is another great hurricane lantern from Dietz. It is designed for camping or emergency use. With 31 ounces of fuel, this lantern can burn up to 26 hours. It includes a 7/8 inch wick and provides 12 candlepower output. Based on the quality and performance, this is one of the best oil lanterns on our list.
- Runs up to 26 hours with 31 ounces of fuel.
- 7/8 inch wick included.
- Provide 12 candlepower output.
- Available in 3 different colors – Black, Blue, and Gold.
Here’s a review video on this oil powered lantern:
08. Northpoint Vintage Dimmable Hurricane Lantern
Next, we have another LED hurricane lantern that can be used in emergency power outages. This Northpoint LED lantern features a dimmer switch for adjusting the light output. With 12 high-quality powerful LED bulbs, this vintage style hurricane lantern provides 150 lumens light output. It runs on 2 D-batteries. The top hanging ring allows you to hang this lantern anywhere you want.
- Includes 12 powerful LED bulbs.
- Runs on 2 D-batteries.
- Includes a dimmer switch for adjusting the brightness.
- Available in 3 attractive colors – Fresh Lime, Island Breeze, and Sunset Paradise.
09. Shop4Omni Hurricane Kerosene Oil Lantern
The Shop4Omni hurricane lantern is one of the best oil lanterns for emergency power outages. You can use this lantern for camping, emergencies, or any other outdoor parties. It is equipped with a durable metal structure with a glass globe. The adjustable wick allows you to adjust the brightness of this lantern.
- Kerosene oil-powered hurricane lantern
- Best for emergency use, camping, or outdoor parties.
- Easy carry and hanging handle.
10. YAKii 17-LED Vintage Hurricane Lantern
The YAKii 17-LED lantern provides more brightness than the previous 12-LED lantern. Like the previous one, this lantern is also made of high-quality galvanized steel. It runs on 4 AA-batteries. The 17 powerful yellow LED bulbs will provide ultra-bright light. You can use this lantern for emergency lighting, home decoration, and camping trip.
- Made of high-quality galvanized steel
- Equipped with 17 powerful LED lights.
- Runs on 4 AA batteries.
- Available in three different colors – Black, Red, and White.
So, these are all of the best hurricane lanterns available on the market. The LED hurricane lanterns are much safer than oil-burning lanterns. So, if you want to ensure safe lighting in your house or inside the tent, you should pick a battery-operated hurricane lantern. On the other hand, if you do not want to take the hassle of finding and carrying batteries for your lantern, you can consider choosing the oil-powered hurricane lantern. We hope you will find your desired hurricane lantern from the above list.